Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Workout of the Day: Big Legs and Karate


Getting back into the swing of things after being mildly sick for a couple weeks, I've taken a basic approach to training this week.  Weights followed by cardio, DDP Yoga, repeat.  Training legs at home requires a bit of rethinking as most of us don't have a squat rack and enough weight around to perform a traditional gym style workout.  Instead, I aim for getting a good pump and strict form to get the most of my exercises to help keep the shape, strength and flexibility of my lower appendages.

Taking a page from a Marky Mark Triple Threat Superset and an article on the recent 300 flick, I got in a giant set of the following:

1)  Deadlift
2)  Goblet Squat - Hold a weight with both hands in front of your chest, squat low to at least parallel, touching your elbows to your thighs.
3)  One Legged Bridge - Lie on your back, bend your knees and plant your feet, extend one leg out while pushing off the floor with the other.  This works your quads, glutes and hamstrings.

I did a pyramid rep scheme, completing sets of 5-10-15-15-10-5 before tackling calves with some standing raises holding a dumbbell.  After that, it was 5 sets of plyometric jumps up my staircase, 1 step, 2 steps, 3 steps, to help build explosive power and to keep my heart rate blasting.

Now show me one of your special kicks:


No comments:

Post a Comment