Thursday, October 17, 2013

Watcha Watching?

It's been a long time since I've actively watched a television show, probably since my youth.  Shows like Knight Rider and Miami Vice have stayed with me and I remember video taping CBS' Magnificent Seven (Michael Biehn!  Ron Perlman!  Eric Close!) on Friday nights in the late 90's.  But since then, besides reruns of The Simpsons, Home Improvement, Futurama and random non-reality competition food shows, TV just isn't my thing.  Sure I've watched Game of Thrones and How I Met Your Mother with the lady but I wouldn't take the time on my own. 

People say we're in the Golden Age of television but everything I've seen is just a lot of blah blah blah talking heads.  The same direction comic books took post 2000's X-Men and 9/11.  Dour, dark, self serious and way too fucking boring.  What used to happen in 1 episode or issue is now stretched across 3.  Can any of you really tell me the answers to the million questions Lost posed in the first season?  Didn't think so.  What's the difference between Twitter and Game of Thrones?  Twitter is limited to 140 characters.  I thought 24 was about Kiefer Sutherland but he only appeared in about 10 minutes and 1 of 3 storylines going on in episodes I watched.

Finally, in the year 2013, I've come across two shows from the 2010's that has kept my attention.  Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age or just reminiscing about the 90's but Justified and Last Man Standing marathons are becoming commonplace at the ol' abode.  They're both simple shows about men going through life their own way. 

Justified's US Marshall Raylan Givens, played by Timothy Elephants, does his job well but the desensitized yet super touchy public doesn't condone his shootings of gun runners, drug dealers and white supremacists.  I suddenly have a hankering for moonshine and firearms...Meanwhile, Last Man Standing's Mike Baxter (Buzz Lightyear) deals with living in a world uber sensitive, participation award, entitled don't-ers and vents his frustrations over video journals while waving guns and knives.  I have no idea if either show is a blockbuster in the ratings or critical darling but hey, I'll catch them while I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment