Monday, December 1, 2014

Workout of the Day: Rudimentary Dude

On Saturday morning I woke up around 6:00AM, not feeling like hitting the gym, I decided to get in some body weight exercises before breakfast.  I owed myself a leg session and some cardio but I figured a compound circuit would be better than lying on the couch watching television.  While watching some making of RoboCop I got in:

Chins/Handstand Push Ups/Chin Rows/Push Ups/
Face Pulls/Dips/Chins/Bench Dips x 3

That's 8 exercises super setted for 24 sets working my entire upper body, accomplished in less than 30 minutes and the only equipment used was a chin up bar and a couple of sturdy chairs. 

On Sunday I woke up around 5:00AM again but the gym doesn't open until 7:00 and didn't feel like going down to the complex facility and making a racket so early.  I was striving to reach 20 workouts for the month but stalled out at 17.5.  What's half a workout?  Sweeping, mopping, vacuuming and scrubbing!  Anyways, I randomly came across some UFC video blogs where in one, former Welterweight champion and all around funny guy Matt Serra pushes a car as part of his night session.  Inspired to do some brute strength basics, I scarfed down a few bites of a random vegan bar with some gulps of water and hit the gym to kick start my Sunday and get one workout closer to 20.  At the near empty gym I performed:

Kettlebell Deadlift/KB Goblet Squat/Battling Ropes/Weight Sled x 4

Followed by some jump rope, abs, twists and 1200 meters rowing.

I've incorporated Kettlebell movements into my routines but have never done a strictly KB workout, there's so many ways to work your muscles so limiting it to one type of equipment is just silly.  It worked today though as I just wanted to get in there and do some no frills exercises that got my heart pumping.  I've never used a weight sled before so I alternated pushing it with a walking then running pace.  I really felt it in my quads and calves as I went from 90, 135, 180 to 205 pounds.  That's all the weight that was nearby so I felt good about it even though 205 isn't much more than I currently weigh and probably much less than what it takes to get a car going.  Next time I'm going to try pulling it to work my back and hamstrings.

Oh yeah, in the same 2010 video, Serra hypes protege Chris Weidman as future champion and in 2013, it became true:

No comments:

Post a Comment